Claudio Ranieri sacked by Leicester with Premier League champions in relegation battle
- Claudio Ranieri sacked with Leicester one point outside relegation zone
- Italian led the club to their first ever Premier League title last season
- But champions have struggled this season and are in a relegation battle
- Assistant Manager Paolo Benetti and coach Andrea Azzalin also depart
- Club statement: 'We are duty-bound to put the Club's long-term interests'
Claudio Ranieri has been sensationally sacked as Leicester City manager.
The brutal decision to dismiss the man who lead them to arguably the greatest triumph in English football history was made after Wednesday's 2-1 Champions League defeat in Seville.
The club confirmed his departure on Thursday night, calling the decision 'painful' but 'necessary'. Assistant Manager Craig Shakespeare and First Team Coach Mike Stowell will be in charge until a replacement is found, starting with the upcoming game against Liverpool at the King Power Stadium on Monday.